DIY Paper Mache Belly Cast

At the end of pregnancy many women decide to make a cast of their beautiful bellies to have as a keepsake after pregnancy. Almost every belly casting I've ever seen has been made of plaster and there are many brands that make kits but they all look the same. I wanted something different, plus I am too inpatient to get a kit of my own. I decided to try out a paper Mache cast of my bump. A belly cast without plaster? This was so easy and fun to do! *Plus super cheap! I used basic craft paste (lots of recipes online) and strips of tissue paper. If you don't mind getting a little sticky and love arts and crafts give this a try! Have fun thinking outside the box! 

Directions: 

1.Wrap your belly (and boobies if you so choose)  gently with saran wrap. 
*You could do this with a shirt on or off since the paste will wash right off. I chose to do it shirtless so saran wrap would 'stick' better.

2. Rip up or cut about 10-15 pieces of tissue paper into long strips. 
* You can choose whatever patterns, colors and textures. I chose to do all different colors and white tissue on top that had flecs of glitter! 

3. Mix paste, make sure it's a good consistency you could dip tissue paper in but I found it a little difficult. I then took paste with my hands or you could use a paint brush (if you're fancy) and layer on the paste and paper on top of your saran wrapped belly until you make the first layer. Then make a second, and a third and your good to go! You can make as many as you choose but the more layers = longer drying time. 
* Have a partner help! Its much harder to do on your own but possible with a mirror.

4. Here's the fun part- waiting and letting your casting dry! If you have a fan or a blow-dryer with a cool setting it'll speed up the process majorly! It took me about 25 min. 

5. Get on all fours and have a partner cut with scissors (gently) down the middle of your back so you're free from your mache belly! 
*You could cut down your side but it may be difficult. Be safe! 

6. You're finished! Now set your belly to harden somewhere overnight. You could tack it up or drape it over something (I put it over the top of a lamp.)

7. Be gentle with your belly cast and take your time creating this one of a kind piece of art! Have fun :)

Paper mache paste: https://www.familycookbookproject.com/recipe/2420767/paper-mache-glue.html

Tissue paper:
https://www.amazon.com/American-Greetings-Multi-Color-Tissue-40-Sheets/dp/B0742KT34J/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=assorted+tissue+paper&qid=1591587691&sprefix=assorted+tissue&sr=8-4


Popular posts from this blog

DIY Closet Baby Nursery

Newborn "shadow box"